Kanye.fun uses Markov chains to generate quotes that sound like Kanye West.
How Kanye.fun works
This site builds a Markov chain from two-hundred different Kanye West quotes and uses that chain to generate quotes in a similar style to Kanye. The Markov chain weights word differently based on how often they appear next to each other. So for instance, if six quotes have the combination ‘I am’ and only one has the combination ‘I have’, ‘I am’ is six times more likely to appear in a generated quote than ‘I have’. Just like with any Markov chain, there is always a chance that the generated Kanye West quote is actually a real Kanye West quote.
Switching between ‘more random’ and ‘less random’ lets you choose between using a first-order Markov chain and a second-order Markov chain. First-order Markov chains use only on the last word to pick the next word in a sentence. Second-order Markov chains use the last two words in a sentence to predict the next one. The second-order chain generates quotes that sound more like Kanye, while the first-order chain generates sentences that are more jumbled and random.
- Kanye.fun was created by Allison Colyer.
- Thanks to Michael Lu for being a contributing programmer.
- Thanks to Seth Klein for creating the Kanye graphic.
- Thanks to Chloe Revery
- Thanks to Recurse Center for supporting this project.
If you want to use generated Kanye West quotes in your own project, here is how you can use Kanye as a Service.
- Generate Kanye West quotes. Include a number at the end of the URL to specify the order Markov chain you want to use. https://kanyefun.now.sh/quote/2
- Generate a Markov Chain from the quotes used in this project. Specify the order by putting a number to the end of the URL. https://kanyefun.now.sh/markov/1
- Fetch all of the Kanye West quotes used for this project. https://kanyefun.now.sh/kanyequotes